Breastfeeding or nursing is the process of feeding breast milk to her infant. For some breastfeeding is really easy while for others it is quite difficult and does not work well. From the moment your baby is born, there are a number of things you can do to improve your chances for breastfeeding success. Every mother can use a tip every now and then.
- Breastfeeding is an exercise, practice it.
Breastfeeding is natural of course but it is actually an exercise which you and baby both need to practice and master. No pressure, take your time. Take all the help you can get from others so that you can focus on being with the baby most of the time and feeding your baby. The time with your baby is the only task for you.
- Posture of Breastfeeding : Know the good postures.
It is important to understand the positions of feeding. You never know which one suits you or your baby. Do your homework or research and read about the different feeding positions.
3. A good feeding cushion
It is optional to have a feeding cushion but to your comfort, it is quite helpful so that you can sit comfortably in the right position.
4. Feeding in public. Just do it.
Do not be afraid of feeding your baby in the public. It is kind of uncomfortable first but soon you will get used to it. If you are too shy or baby gets distracted in the public, cover with a hydrophilic cloth or any other cloth.
5. Do not look at the clock too much.
Kraamzorg suggest to feed the baby every 3 hours but baby gets hungry faster and most of the time already giving clues when sleeping. Feed them on demand is also a good method to follow or feed them when you think they are hungry.
Do you run into problems while practicing the breastfeeding. There can be different problems which can be faced during the breastfeeding exercise. These can be :
- Baby is not latching properly?
Do not give up easily. It is a hard job which requires a lot of hard work. If the baby is not latching, what can you do? Of course there is a lot to do and check.
– You can check the baby with your pediatrician on the lip or tongue ties. Take advice from pediatrician.
– Check if baby is opening a big mouth for taking in the nipple, if not, try to use nipple shields. Medela nipple shields is one of the brand you can try on.
– Skin to Skin is important for building the bond. Get naked with the baby and give your baby a warm feeling that helps to start breastfeeding.
2. You are not producing enough milk?
Many moms worry a lot as they have a poor milk supply. Once your breast milk has come in, your breasts start to make milk through a process of ‘supply and demand’. Each time milk is removed, either by your baby feeding or by expressing, your breasts make more. Giving bottles or formula milk to the baby leads to low supply of breastmilk. In such cases follow :
– Skin-to-skin contact with your baby before and during feeds stimulate the hormone oxytocin, which gets your milk flowing. Do it regularly.
– Relaxation technique. It is important that you remain relaxed in such situation. Feel stressful and nervous leads to let down on the flow of the breastmilk. Listen to your favorite calming music.
– Try SNS Method. Supplement nursing system helps baby to feed the formula milk or extra milk while feeding at breast. This helps in encouraging the breastfeeding.
– Express milk using pumping. The more you pump and extract the milk, the better will be the supply. Remember supply and demand method.
3. Still having issues?
– Call a lactation consultant. Ask your kraamzorg to help you in being in contact with the certified lactation expert. They usually come to your home. Some of the LC fees can be reimbursed from the health provider however for some, you have to pay by yourself. Check this in advance.
– Follow breastfeeding forums. La Leche League is one of the popular forum on facebook or you can call them free of cost on their website or chat with them.
– Take up online breastfeeding courses. Midwives usually arranges the breastfeeding courses. You can ask for a course from them during your pregnancy journey to be well prepared for the breastfeeding. or ask the lactation expert for online courses list.
– Follow Youtube videos. Follow the videos and practice a lot together with your baby.
Last but not the least: involve your partner in everything. From preparing a glass of water and eating something while you feed, to handle the baby or keep out of the door of visit. In short, surround yourself with people who have faith in you and your breasts. Because if you are relaxed and well cared for, you have the peace to do that miracle work.