There are two important tests required in the first week after the baby is born. This is required to do an early detection of any abnormality so that it can be treated.
Heel Prick Test : In the first week after the birth, blood from your baby heel is collected and examined for a number of rare diseases.If the heel prick test will show that your baby has a rare disease, you will be referred to a pediatrician. An employee of GGD (Gemeentelijke Gezondheidsdienst) will come to you home(usually without an appointment or call) to perform the heel test. The test will be performed within 4 to 8 days after the baby is born. If the test results are good, you will not be notified. No news is a good news. If the test is abnormal, your will be notified and your family doctor will contact you.
Hearing Test : Hearing test is also done at your home within first week after the birth. The test takes only few minutes and is painless. Results will be shared immediately. The hearing test will be done during the same visit as that of heel prick test.
The first week after the baby is born is going to be very busy, emotional and tiring. You need to adjust yourself to the new situation !
Congratulations !! Your baby is born ! You must be very busy with adjusting to the new situation and overwhelmed with the feelings. Here is the list of things you need to do in the first week after the baby is born :
1. Kraamzorg Inform Kraamzorg from the hospital itself as soon as your baby is born. If baby is born in the night, inform them in the next morning. Kraamzorg nurse will be there for you for the first week after the birth. However it can be extended for another 2 days if you request your midwife. All the report made by kraamzorg is shared with your midwife.
2. Midwife visits Your midwife will come to your home often to visit you to check on your health and your baby health. Also to check on your experience with the delivery. Midwife will give you a call before coming.
3. Lactation consultant If you are experiencing problems with the breastfeeding and kraamzorg is unable to help, you can also opt for a lactation consultant. The consultancy is not included in the basic insurance. You can get more information from kraamzorg nurse on this.
4. Register at Gemeente/Municipality You must register the birth at the municipality with in three days. You will then get a birth certificate from Gemeente at a cost of Eur 13. You can have a look at here on the steps on how to do.
5. Receive the BSN number of your child Once you register the birth at municipality, you will get a BSN number within few days at your home via post.
6. Add your child to the Insurance As soon as you have the birth certificate, you should add your child to your insurance. There is no extra fee for the insurance.
7. Heel Prick and Hearing test Heel prick and hearing test will be done by an employee of GGD. Someone will come to your house without appointment or call within 4 to 6 days after the birth. You need not have to contact anyone for this. More information on the tests can be found here.