Car : Register at RDW

So you have decided which car to buy for yourself, great !! Its not officially yours until you get the car registered at RDW.

Image copyright at TheMovingHumans – shutterstock images

What is RDW?
The Netherlands Vehicle Authority (RDW) contributes to making road transport in the Netherlands as safe, clean, economically viable and well-regulated as possible. The dutch government has assigned 4 tasks to RDW :

– Licensing : The licensing of vehicles
– Supervision & Control : Supervising companies and monitoring conditions of the vehicles.
– Registration & Information : Gathering, updating and managing data concerning vehicles.
– Issuing documents : documents which are required for vehicles such as driving license, APK forms etc.

Register at RDW
If you are selling a vehicle, you must put the registration in the new owner’s name. This must be done by the seller. Buyer must ensure this to make it official. After the registration, you will get a vehicle registration card (kentekencard) as a new owner.

What do you need as a seller for Registration transfer?
– A registration Code(in the letter) : You need this registration code when you sell (transfer), scrap, export, or demolish your vehicle.
– Kentekenbewijs card (Vehicle registration card)

How to register as a seller?
Your vehicle registration card is connected to a registration code. Half of the code is printed on the kentekenbewijs card and half of the code is printed in the separate letter. As a seller, take both to the post office. As a buyer, show ID and pay around Eur 10 to transfer the registration to the new owner. This can be done within a few minutes.

What will you as a buyer will receive after registeration?
You will receive a vehicle registration card when the vehicle is transferred.

First week after the birth

The first week after the baby is born is going to be very busy, emotional and tiring. You need to adjust yourself to the new situation !

Image copyright @shutterstock images

Congratulations !! Your baby is born !
You must be very busy with adjusting to the new situation and overwhelmed with the feelings. Here is the list of things you need to do in the first week after the baby is born :

1. Kraamzorg
Inform Kraamzorg from the hospital itself as soon as your baby is born. If baby is born in the night, inform them in the next morning. Kraamzorg nurse will be there for you for the first week after the birth. However it can be extended for another 2 days if you request your midwife. All the report made by kraamzorg is shared with your midwife.

2. Midwife visits
Your midwife will come to your home often to visit you to check on your health and your baby health. Also to check on your experience with the delivery. Midwife will give you a call before coming.

3. Lactation consultant
If you are experiencing problems with the breastfeeding and kraamzorg is unable to help, you can also opt for a lactation consultant. The consultancy is not included in the basic insurance. You can get more information from kraamzorg nurse on this.

4. Register at Gemeente/Municipality
You must register the birth at the municipality with in three days. You will then get a birth certificate from Gemeente at a cost of Eur 13. You can have a look at here on the steps on how to do.

5. Receive the BSN number of your child
Once you register the birth at municipality, you will get a BSN number within few days at your home via post.

6. Add your child to the Insurance
As soon as you have the birth certificate, you should add your child to your insurance. There is no extra fee for the insurance.

7. Heel Prick and Hearing test
Heel prick and hearing test will be done by an employee of GGD. Someone will come to your house without appointment or call within 4 to 6 days after the birth. You need not have to contact anyone for this. More information on the tests can be found here.

Registration to Gemeente

Gemeente? Wondering if that is the a new word which you do not know !

Copyright @Shutterstock images

Ah, wondering what is Khe-meen-te? Do not worry about pronunciation. Gemeente is the dutch word for municipality or townhall. If you are relocating from abroad to Netherlands, you must register to the townhall as a resident. This is mandatory to get the BSN number(Burger Service Nummer). BSN is required for all the communications with the city and national government.

First time registration in the Netherlands?
You must contact Gemeente within 5 days of arrival to schedule an appointment. For appointment, call the city’s gemeente office. The appointment will be taken place at city office. You must have a residential address where you can register.

Registering Children?
Children who are 16 years or older can register themselves while the Children below 16 years of age needs to be accompanied by parent or guardian.

What are the documents needed?
You need following documents for registration :

– A valid proof of identity (Preferably a passport)
– Original and notarized copy of birth certificate(It was needed until year 2019 but a few townhall still ask for this document. Check with Gemeente when booking an appointment)
– A document showing you have the right to live at your address. This could be either a rental contract, or buying agreement if you bought the house, a letter of permission from the house owner with a copy of their ID or an official letter from a housing corporation.

Have you been to Netherlands before? Are you registering again?
You must contact Gemeente within 5 days of arriving Netherlands. You will need following documents :
– A valid proof of identity (Preferably a passport)
– A document showing you have the right to live at your address. This could be either a rental contract, or buying agreement if you bought the house, a letter of permission from the house owner with a copy of their ID or an official letter from a housing corporation.
– Certificate to prove your marital status if that is changed or you have children.